THE BUYING PROCESS
Buying a house in Portland Oregon is a great decision. Not only are you about to embark on an important financial decision, but you also have the pleasure of discovering an exciting lifestyle choice that comes with living in this beautiful area. However, most buyers discover that after they have decided upon buying a home in Portland, Oregon, they are often faced with more questions such as:
- How do I find the right home to buy?
- How do I know if I’m ready to buy a home?
- How do I select the right Real Estate Agent?
- What is a Buyer’s Agent?
- Should I buy a house now or wait?
- What should I consider when looking for a community in which to live?
- When I find a house that I like, what should I look for when walking through?
- How can I remember all the information about the homes that I have seen?
- How many houses should I look at before making the decision to buy?
- Once I find a house that I want, what comes next?
- How do I figure out which kind of loan is best for me?
BUYING A HOME WITH DCG
Our goal at DCG is to be sure that our buyers have all the information that they need in order to make a smart decision when buying a house in Portland Oregon. When you choose our team to help you with your purchase, we take the time to really listen to what you are looking for in a home so that time is not wasted looking at homes or areas that do not match your criteria.
We will provide you with a Buyers Book which explains the home buying process to you from start to finish. We understand that often you can get frustrated with “information overload” and it’s nice to be able to have a source to refer to. However, we encourage and welcome your calls!
Next, we get to work and provide guidance as we hone in on the specific properties which match your criteria. We work with other agents in the area so that we are aware of all the homes available. At times, there are homes for sale that are not marketed through the MLS so your online search may not reveal them to you. Other times, we hear of properties entering the market before they are listed on the MLS, giving you a head start on considering that home. This is where the networking abilities of our team can work to your advantage.
Once we find your home, we work with you every step of the way from writing the offer, discussing the negotiations, opening the escrow, navigating inspections and contract deadlines, through to the close. We use a successful system that has been tested through all market climates in order to provide you with the best service and ensure that your interests remain a priority.
WHAT ARE THE STEPS TO BUYING A HOME
Each real estate transaction is unique depending on the dynamics of the buyer, the seller, and the deal. While the team at DCG will help you along each step of the process, in general this is what you can expect when purchasing a home:
- Get pre-approved with your lender to find out how much home you can afford
- Make a list of home features that you like
- Set up a VIP home search on this site so homes that match your criteria can be sent to you directly, saving you time
- With your DCG partner, narrow down homes of interest and we will arrange for you to see these properties
- Once you have found a property you like, complete an Offer to Purchase with your DCG partner
- The offer goes to the seller and/or seller’s agent for the property for consideration
- Negotiation – your first offer may not be accepted in full. The seller may agree to part of the terms but ask for others. This is where having a skilled negotiator on your side is helpful
- Offer accepted!
- Open escrow with an earnest money deposit and signed offer to purchase
- Work with your lender to complete the approval of your loan
- Work with your real estate agent who will arrange for all the inspections needed and coordinate the transaction to be sure the proper paperwork is completed and all contingencies and deadlines are met
- Home inspection – based on the results of this report you may ask the seller to repair some items
- Sign loan documents and any other required closing papers
- Deposit additional down payment money into escrow (if applicable)
- Provide escrow company with your homeowners insurance information
- Final walk-thru of property to ensure any necessary repairs have been made
- Loan documents and Grant Deed are recorded and title is transferred to your name
- Congratulations – you are a homeowner!
WHAT HAPPENS AFTER CLOSING
Sure, finding a home that you like through an online search seems easy enough. However, everything that comes after that point is where you need the experience of a professional real estate team, such as the one at The Dennison Capen Group. Consider the benefits of having the personal attention of a team working for you to ensure that your interests are met. From discovering if that picture that you like is truly the best home for you to buy in Portland, through the negotiations, paperwork, inspections and closing, the entire team at the DCG, including your Transaction Coordinator, will pave the way for a seamless process.
First Time Home Buyers Buying a House in Portland Oregon
If you are a First Time Home Buyer, you may want to consider attending our Home Buying Seminar. Many of your questions can be answered during this time so that you are well prepared for buying a home in Portland Oregon.
These are just the general steps of the homebuying process. To find out more about each step, be sure to request our Buyers Handbook.
Feel free to Contact Us with any questions about buying a home in Portland Oregon!